The quest for tone

Further to the Tub-screamer pedal project (I’m waiting for a few final parts), I found a great article on the Geofex site all about the original Tubescreamer internals. Here’s a quote I found amusing:

The best thing to do, I believe, if you’re hunting the Tube Screamer Holy Grail is to stick in an 8 pin socket on the board, noting the orientation of the original chip carefully, and then just plug in various dual opamps until you find one that conjures up images of your own personal guitar deity.

In this world of tube amplifiers and guitars/effects there are snake-oil salesman around every corner trying to get us to spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on all kinds of gadgets that’ll bring us closer to “that tone”. They recognise that at the heart of it we (guitarists in general) are star-struck wannabes that have a very simple desire to be “as good as that guy”. And “that guy” may be Clapton or Vaughan or whomever. In quiet moments when we’re listening to our favourite music we think “if only I could sound like that”. I don’t care who you are, you do it. I bet even Clapton does when he’s listening to Buddy Guy, or Freddie King.

For me it’s Eric’s tone on the studio version of “Spoonful”. It’s clearly some kind of Gibson, probably a Les Paul. It’s also certain to be a 100 watt Marshall cranked pretty high so it’s “alive” and on the brink of feedback. In my view that’s the sweet spot for any rig. In the mix there’s an ocean of reverb on the track which adds to the haunting sound she creates. You can hear him playing with a variety of pick strength…sometimes he’e gentle, other times he’s really digging in. Never does his guitar sound harsh; it’s always creamy smooth and very, very musical. Now for me to get that tone I simply use my 50w 2204 Marshall and either my mid-70’s Les Paul or my Tokai copy. That’s all I need to fulfill that particular dream; especially as I realise I’d never truly be able to recreate that sound as I’m not Eric.

However, if I were more susceptible to the snake-oil salesman I could do the following:

So the question is, how much closer to that tone will I get by spending > $200k? Maybe 1% closer. I can get 95% of it with my so-called cheap rig. The other 5% is all about Eric.

Back to Tubescreamers. The aura surrounding them is due to people like Stevie Ray Vaughan. He used a TS-808 in his rig, so naturally everyone wants one. Conversely, nobody wants the TS-9 or any kind of reissue as folklore would have it that they “aren’t the same”. The fact is, the pretty much are the same. The Geofex article linked above proves that beyond doubt. So why is it that people will pay $350 for a handwired TS-808 from Ibanez? Why is it that sellers on eBay think they can get $600 for an old one? It’s all snake-oil.

I’m going to build my $37 clone from the circuitboard I got at DIY Effects, and the parts in got from Small Bear Electronics/Pedal Parts Plus, and be 95% there. 🙂

Advertisements
Tagged , , , ,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: