As a follow-on to my previous post about building a breadboard prototyping rig, here’s some information about my first attempt at a circuit.
I found a schematic within the application note for the module itself, on this page but it did not include schematics for the power supply circuitry. I’m still so new to op-amps that I wasn’t about to make things up on the fly. I then stumbled upon this schematic on freestompboxes.org. Here’s the post, but you need to register to see it. Here’s the drawing I studied:
So if you break it down into discreet sections, it’s actually rather simple:
In many respects the power supply section was the eye-opener for me on this project. I’ve worked with tube amp supplies before, but never one designed for not only op-amps, but with provision for a ‘module’. So what you see at the top of the drawing is exactly that; 9V coming in from the wart/battery, a little bit of filtering, R1 and R2 dividing the voltage, to get 4.5V for op-amp bias, and the 7805 regulator to give the reverb module 5V. The voltage from the divider goes into one of the opamps to be regulated.
Shawn over at DIY Effects very patiently helped me understand the ins and outs of op-amp power, which was very useful. I had read a lab paper that has some great exercises for exploring op-amp behavior: here, which insisted that op-amps must be powered appropriately, regardless of whether the schematic indicates this. I’m used to tube amp schematics omitting the heater wires (they’re always there, so why bother?) so it became clear with Shawns help that this was true, and that I had simply missed the part of the schematic where pins 4 and 11 are connected to the TL074 quad-opamp. Duh!
Also, most articles focussed on theory talk about bipolar power supplies providing + and – voltage for the opamp, and then a virtual ground in between for bias. This didn’t make much sense until I realized the schematic here provides +9V from the main source, 4.5V for bias, and zero V ground. In relative terms this is identical. Here’s a good article on ‘virtual ground circuits‘.
Anyway, that top section of the schematic was my starting point, so I made reasonably fast work of getting it all working on the breadboard. I was able to measure 9V on the main rails, 4.5V on VB (meaning Voltage for Bias, we supposed) and 5V at VA (for the module. All cool so far.
The next day I just continued by working my way from left to right on the schematic, wiring up components and crossing them off the printed schematic. Again, through building tube amps I learned to mark progress as I went along; it really helps me as I have a terrible short-term memory.
The challenge at this point was to translate the schematic to a breadboard layout, which I had not done before (other than the 555 LED blinker project from ‘Electronics for Dummies’). I have no magical insight here, I was just lucky I think as this circuit doesn’t sprawl across the board; it’s very simple.
Mistakes were made, absolutely. When I first fired it up I got no sound, but this just meant I got to debug it. I went back with my multimeter and checked power. It was clear that something was wrong as I was getting about 7V for VB, which should’ve been half of the main 9V rail (due to those two 10k resistors between the rails acting as a divider). This led me to check all the connections surrounding the opamp, and I soon found that I had screwed up just two wires, and forgotten to ground the opamp at all. By this point I had a guitar and amp connected, so when I powered it up for the 3rd time, I knew I had a signal. And sure enough it works!!!
UPDATE! I managed to get this circuit onto veroboard, using the ‘Box of Hall’ layout that’s floating around online.:
Here’s a recording of the unit, with a clean sound to start of course:
UPDATE! July 29th The reverb pedal now has an enclosure…