In my previous post I was discussing a new project. Another distortion pedal based on a clone of a Landgraff Dynamic Overdrive. The circuit was drawn out (possibly from looking at the Landgraff device) a few years ago by someone called Clay Jones. See the picture on the right here. This circuit was made available to me, as a beautiful pre-built PCB, by the guys over at DIY Effects. They have a great OD circuit (currently at revision 2, I believe) that I had used previously, but this one is using their “revision one” board.
The major difference between the revisions has to do with the clipping section of the circuit. Rev 2 has ample space for all kinds of options whereas Rev 1 is limited in terms of on board space. In this context that didn’t matter. I knew I wanted to mess around with clipping options and that meant it was easier to do that with a switch off the main board. I chose to try 3 diodes in one position and 2 LEDs in the other. The middle ‘off’ position is just the raw clipping of the circuit alone.
I was able to wire up the board with power, pots and jacks very quickly, due to the great instructions, and had it plugged into my amp in no time at all. The goal here was to compare the clipping options and just make sure I wasn’t going down the wrong path. And I was not disappointed at all. The 3 diodes position has tons of gain, but in the lower positions sounds much like a cranked Marshall, but with a slightly softer attack. It doesn’t have the harsh bite of the typical Angus Young tone, which isn’t a bad thing. Then I switched it to the middle ‘off’ position, and it immediately got much louder, presumably because there aren’t any diodes clipping anything. Also for the same ‘drive’ position, the middle position had way less drive. Position 3, the 2 LED’s wasn’t a huge change from the middle position, but it softened the attack a little. Either way, I completely love this pedal!. So now to get it into a usable enclosure.
Based on a recommendation from DIY Effects I bought a box from Pedal Enclosures, specifically the YY type, in red hammer finish. All that remained was to drill some holes and start the assembly. This meant I had to think about how I wanted to lay things out inside the box as well as outside. But the basic dimensions of the box decided a lot of this for me. Here’s the basics:
- The circuit requires Drive, Tone and Level pots.
- I wanted to eventually add a switchable boost, so I need 2 foot switches. This will be like the “more” switch on Joe Satriani’s Vox distortion pedal.
- I need a hole for my clipping switch.
- LEDs for both the switches so I know where I am.
- The usual 1/4′ jacks and power.
I covered the box with masking tape and found my old vernier calipers and a pen. With the box of components at hand, for dimensions, I was able to mark out the locations for the holes and punch them quite quickly. Then it was time for the drill press. After starting with an 1/8th ” bit for pilot holes, I layed into it with my El Cheapo “unibit” that I got from Harbor Freight Tools.
Now for the fun part! As I had done most of the assembly work with parts I had laying around, I did have to replace the pots with smaller ones (16mm rather than 24mm), and also I had to wire up the full bypass switch (and the LED). But all of that was just busy work. This time, I purchased extra components from Small Bear Electronics.
I was lucky enough to have wired it correctly first time (as with the original OD pedal) so within the hour I had it plugged into my amp and was jamming away.
I am very, very satisfied with this pedal. I can get a wide variety of usable tones from it very quickly. I do need to replace the drive pot with something else as the range of “no drive” to “loads of drive” all happens in the first few degrees. Not sure if this is simply the difference between linear and logarithmic taper. Anyway, here’s another photo.